Just lost a Mets (@ home) vs Phillies Franchise game in the 10th inning and noticed something which I thought was odd, but I couldn't find any MLB ruling. I'm hoping somebody here knows or knows where to find the rule.
The situation was this (I'm the Mets playing at home):
- Trevor May pitched a flawless 9th inning. Scores tied 0-0 after 9 innings, so Rhys Hoskins starts the 10th on 2nd base for the Phillies.
- I replaced May with Edwin Díaz to start the 10th inning.
- Díaz gives up a double to Realmuto and Hoskins scores.
- Philadelphia goes on to win 2-1.
- In the box score, May is awarded the loss and the Hoskins run (unearned), Díaz awarded one earned run and one run but no loss.
In the game log there are a couple of oddities. The flow of play is correctly recorded, however it has 'Díaz in bullpen' in the bottom of the 9th when I started him throwing, and again twice in the top of the 10th. I did a mound visit in the top of the 10th before bringing Díaz into the game. But there is no acknowledgement of him pitching in the game log.
So I'm wondering if the ruling of May being awarded the loss for being 'responsible' for the runner on 2nd to start extra innings is correct (despite having no control over the situation), or if it has not been recorded correctly and is a bug.
Seeking the assistance of the forum's finest