Is it really a problem?
-
The blatant disregard for the Cincinnati Reds is just one glaring symptom of a much larger problem at San Diego Studio: a complete detachment from baseball’s foundational history. It has become abundantly clear that the developers only care about the last 15 years of the sport, treating the previous century of baseball as an afterthought.
A game that claims to be the definitive baseball simulation is an absolute joke when it omits the titans who built the game. How can SDS justify the absence of Ty Cobb, Nap Lajoie, Dizzy Dean, or the Waner Brothers? SDS has abandoned a massive roster of legends. The lack of a beloved modern icon like Kirby Puckett, alongside brilliant defensive masters like Ray Schalk, Buck Weaver, and Mickey Cochrane, proves they are completely phoning in their historical content.
There are clear, actionable ways to fix this and actually educate the player base:
Yearly Franchise Deep Dives: SDS has already proven they can build incredible, educational content with the Negro Leagues Storylines. They need to apply that exact same framework to MLB franchises. Every year, the game should feature a deep-dive Storyline into the rich history of one National League team and one American League team, complete with historical stadiums, uniforms, and the eras' defining players.
NPB Legends Series: Baseball is a global game with a rich international history that SDS ignores. Introducing a Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) series featuring the legendary Sadaharu Oh and other Japanese baseball icons would be a massive addition that respects the game's worldwide legacy.
SDS needs to stop operating with such a narrow, modern-day, coastal-market bias. They have a platform that could celebrate the full 150-year history of professional baseball, but right now, their historical omissions mean they are operating with zero credibility.
I have no problem with honoring the 82 Cardinals, If I remember I was rooting for the Brewers in that series, Series like 75, 82, 2001, 2004... Should be celebrated. I want all of baseball to be celebrated not just my familial connections. But I will advocate for Harry Craft or any member of the Reds first, I'm a partisan.
-
I mean, I think its absurd that the 86 Mets only have one representative in game (funny enough the 62 Mets somehow got two cards last year) but sadly the average Diamond Dynasty player isn't interested in a history lesson. Legends cost money.
I do think they drop the ball with guys like Doerr...add him to the game but then lock his HoF card behind a Headliner pack that no one will buy or ever see in any of their rewards since headliner packs are random.
As far as Puckett, I think its fair that either SDS or MLB doesn't want him in the game.
-
@victoryphoenix_MLBTS the problem is I did Google and "great" is not the word I would use to describe Harry Craft. Great defender, sure. Great ballplayer, not by any measurable standard.
-
@TH3L1GHT_PSN He was my Great Uncle and is in the Reds Hall of Fame, as I said I'm biased, A reds player and family. Also I think he was the first manager of the Colt 45s/Astros
-
@victoryphoenix_MLBTS so we can be honest and stop this nonsense about him being some great player everyone should know. Seems like he had a solid rookie year, was a demon in the field, but couldn't hit major league pitching and was gone after a few seasons. So 125 contact per side with 90+ power if SDS ever get the rights.
Edit to add, the reds hall of fame seems about as exclusive as a sam's club
-
I would love a new card series... "Dead Ball Era" (I understand getting the rights to these players could be difficult). Make it part of a program - "Anti-Moonshot"? Have an event where every player has to have less than 80 power and lock it at Forbes.
Yes, I would seriously love that.
-
I would love a new card series... "Dead Ball Era" (I understand getting the rights to these players could be difficult). Make it part of a program - "Anti-Moonshot"? Have an event where every player has to have less than 80 power and lock it at Forbes.
Yes, I would seriously love that.
They did this one year. There was an event that was any pitcher and silver or lower hitters.
Back when events used to have real and fun restrictions. Like loading up your bench and stating staff with common players to get under the overall threshold.
-
@TH3L1GHT_PSN Everyone should know Baseball History. The Game didn't start in the year 2000.
-
I concede you have superior knowledge of your great uncle. I do not concede that this is knowledge of baseball history. Nor do I concede that anyone learning even as much as I now know about him will have increased their baseball knowledge. I get it's a personal crusade. It's also quite silly to put him in the same breath as Johnny Bench or Joe Morgan and you do him and yourself a disservice by trying to force such a ridiculous comparison.
-
It's not a personal crusade only a fact. Just as you disrespected the Reds hall of fame is a fact. I guarantee people know as much about Harry Craft as they do Rick Ferrell. I had the opportunity when I was younger to have a conversation with Buck O'Niell as he was related to a former team mate. I assure you I've had more conversations about some of the greats, with some of the greats, so if you want to argue about what your perception of a decent ball player is I could care less. You probably also like the DH and Sabermetrics.
-
Players like myself want to use players of our childhood and of our favorite team
-
Players like myself want to use players of our childhood and of our favorite team
Then i need a Del Unser, Mets version!!