MLB Negotiations: Both Sides Agreed to Universal DH

SDS

Get ready to update your game settings, San Diego Studios! The pitcher has to hit rule is going away!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/01/25/mlb-labor-talks-free-agency-revenue-sharing-cba/9216662002/

UNIVERSAL DH!

SDS

Well I guess they can't neglect it any longer. Which is a shame, I love having the pitcher in the lineup for strategic purposes.

SDS

@raesone_psn said in MLB Negotiations: Both Sides Agreed to Universal DH:

Well I guess they can't neglect it any longer. Which is a shame, I love having the pitcher in the lineup for strategic purposes.

Strategic purposes? I play the CPU and not online, so I don’t like giving the machine a free out.

Besides, the DH is a good thing for baseball. It extends the careers of hitters who are more subject to defensive injuries and it saves pitchers from batting and base running injuries. Plus, it’s more offense.

After all, one such designated hitter, Big Papi, just got elected to the HOF in his first eligible year. So DH ftw.

SDS

@ladyswampfox_xbl said in MLB Negotiations: Both Sides Agreed to Universal DH:

Strategic purposes? I play the CPU and not online, so I don’t like giving the machine a free out.

Besides, the DH is a good thing for baseball. It extends the careers of hitters who are more subject to defensive injuries and it saves pitchers from batting and base running injuries. Plus, it’s more offense.

After all, one such designated hitter, Big Papi, just got elected to the HOF in his first eligible year. So DH ftw.

In real life, yes. But I'm taking about diamond dynasty. I prefer the pitcher in the line up because that can force someone's hand at a crucial situation in the game. You actually have to make decisions when your pitcher is up to bat, instead of just batting 1 through 9.

SDS

In real life, yes. But I'm taking about diamond dynasty. I prefer the pitcher in the line up because that can force someone's hand at a crucial situation in the game. You actually have to make decisions when your pitcher is up to bat, instead of just batting 1 through 9.

I am talking about DD too. I hate batting with the pitcher when both teams are in the AL. I hate batting with the pitcher in general. You make decisions in every at bat, okay? The whole game of baseball is strategy, okay?

The computer does not deserve a free double play or a free out in general just because it forces me to bat with the pitcher.

So the DH must and will be applied to this game at long last.

SDS

I am talking about DD too. I hate batting with the pitcher when both teams are in the AL. I hate batting with the pitcher in general. You make decisions in every at bat, okay? The whole game of baseball is strategy, okay?

The computer does not deserve a free double play or a free out in general just because it forces me to bat with the pitcher.

I mean, not every at bat with a pitcher is a free out though. Just square it up and if you suck at hitting, get him out of the game for a PH and go to the bullpen. You can also sacrifice bunt if there's a runner on. See? Decisions, decisions.

SDS

I mean, not every at bat with a pitcher is a free out though. Just square it up and if you suck at hitting, get him out of the game for a PH and go to the bullpen. You can also sacrifice bunt if there's a runner on. See? Decisions, decisions.

I just play against the CPU. Therefore I would like the option to play with the DH instead of the pitcher hitting because the computer doesn’t need a free out.

SDS

Say it aint so

SDS

I just play against the CPU. Therefore I would like the option to play with the DH instead of the pitcher hitting because the computer doesn’t need a free out.

Looks like your wish will be granted for next year's game then!

SDS

I prefer pitchers having to hit, and think the AL should never have adopted the DH. I’ve always felt like the National League was carrying the torch for traditionalists. It’s the end of an era, and the game will never be the same.

Nothing to do it about now but adapt, I suppose.

SDS

@maurice91932_psn said in MLB Negotiations: Both Sides Agreed to Universal DH:

I prefer pitchers having to hit, and think the AL should never have adopted the DH. I’ve always felt like the National League was carrying the torch for traditionalists. It’s the end of an era, and the game will never be the same.

Nothing to do it about now but adapt, I suppose.

I agree in theory, but pitchers are so awful at hitting (save for a few) that it's really not the traditional NL ball you speak of anymore. That's not just the pitcher's fault. So few hitters can bunt, Hit and run, force the ball to the right etc anymore.

If we could go back to that style that you speak of, I'd be all for the traditional way, but now it's either strike out, walk or HR.

SDS

Pitchers that can hit like deGrom, MadBum, etc. May be upset.
Chien Ming Wang was having a great career until that baserunning injury in Houston.
My Mets may be happy because Dom Smith is not an outfielder. If Cano is back, let McNeil play 2B.
I'm for it, yet I wish it couldn't change.
They say every other league has the DH, so it was inevitable.

SDS

I would rather have the game keep pitchers hitting in the game. Makes online way more interesting. Bullpen and bench would be used even less than they do now

SDS

That is true but there is also no denying that it removes a lot a strategic decisions that must be made without the DH.

SDS

Now if they implemented the rule i had heard about, it might b ok. The rule i thought i heard get tossed around was if u remove the pitcher befor 5th or 6th u lose dh, something like that might put some strategy back in

SDS

I used to say [censored] the DH. Now I'm asking for it to be injected into my veins.

SDS

That’s great news, it should’ve been done a long time ago.

SDS

Hey, Zack Greinke is a SP and was brought in to PH in the WS. And got a hit lol. I wonder if they will still allow pitchers to PH.

SDS

Can you use a pitcher who is starting as the DH?

Just thinking about someone like Ohtani. Can he still bat as the DH and SP?

Or are the rules you cannot do that? Anyone know?

SDS

@lewisnadasurf1_psn said in MLB Negotiations: Both Sides Agreed to Universal DH:

Can you use a pitcher who is starting as the DH?

Just thinking about someone like Ohtani. Can he still bat as the DH and SP?

Or are the rules you cannot do that? Anyone know?

Yes, Ohtani can pitch in a game and hit for himself. If he gets knocked around and replaced on the mound, he can stay in as the DH.