PAR possible in 20?

SDS

So, PAR is their new thing for pitch accuracy and I think I understand it pretty well. I am mildly surprised that meter gives you more accuracy than analog, but whatever.

What I'm curious about now, is this same mechanism essentially in 20 without it being called PAR or ever being alluded to? When you throw a pitch now with good input, is there a general area its going to go? I mean, I think we all have, at least in the past, expected a good input pitch to go where we are aiming (I still believe this should be the case). But are we really pitching to an area with good input?

I mean, if I throw the same pitch in the same location with the same input, is it potentially going to land in different spots? Is it supposed to be that way? I'm genuinely curious. What do you all think? Do you get what I'm saying?

I also wonder if now, in 20, that meter is more accurate than analog like it's showing it will be in 21.

I'm an analog guy the past couple years after years of using meter. I feel more comfortable using analog and feel I have more control (with the unexpected hanging pitchers and mislocations that I hear everyone else complain about).

SDS

Sometimes I’ll call for a pitch low and out side and it’ll go right down the middle. Other times I’ll call for a pitch high and tight and it’ll go right down the middle...then other times I call for a pitch low and in...unfortunately it goes right down the middle...

On a serious note I think the PAR will be a huge benefit to pitching because at least now it’s in a general area. I had a mistake down the middle in 21 beta but it was not a good meter and it made sense.

SDS

Pretty sure “PAR” was in the game all year but now they are selling it to us as a new feature to make us excited about the same random pitching outcomes.

Yes, I’m just that jaded.

SDS

@halfbutt_psn said in PAR possible in 20?:

Pretty sure “PAR” was in the game all year but now they are selling it to us as a new feature to make us excited about the same random pitching outcomes.

Yeah I had said this too. All it does is give us info, no change in mechanics. It’s a way of justifying outcomes in the same way that the swing feedback does.

I’m sure hangers have been corrected, but PAR ain’t got nuthin to do with it.

SDS

@red_ted_is_back said in PAR possible in 20?:

Yeah I had said this too. All it does is give us info, no change in mechanics. It’s a way of justifying outcomes in the same way that the swing feedback does.

I don't think changes were needed to be made because PAR gives us the information we need to make better location selection. Full disclosure, I'm aware there is going to be RNG in all facets of the game, pitching included.

In the Tech Test I was pitching better then on 20 using pure analog. My ability to make good inputs wasn't any different, however, where I was locating my pitches was different. Now that I could see how big the PAR area was for a pitch I can adjust to make sure with a good input I can ensure the pitch lands in the general area I wanted.

This was a big deal in terms of off speed pitch location. Sometimes for a curveball the PAR area was bigger than I would've anticipated. I could tell by my pitch location selection in 20 was getting me burned. I wasn't setting the pitch low enough to ensure it stayed out of the zone.

It was a trade off where I buried more that were easily laid off of, but I also was getting good ones that stayed just below the zone like I wanted.

SDS

I am pretty sure PAR always existed in the show, they just never told us about how it works. Did they say this was a new feature? I remember them saying it was for more clarity but not a new feature. Having PAR represented will make pitching a little more understandable.

SDS

@rabid55wolverine said in PAR possible in 20?:

I am pretty sure PAR always existed in the show, they just never told us about how it works. Did they say this was a new feature? I remember them saying it was for more clarity but not a new feature. Having PAR represented will make pitching a little more understandable.

I am sure it's been there at least since 19 but it was never shown to us except for pulse because it shows you the anticipated circle based on your input.

SDS

@chuck_dizzle29 said in PAR possible in 20?:

I don't think changes were needed to be made because PAR gives us the information we need to make better location selection. Full disclosure, I'm aware there is going to be RNG in all facets of the game, pitching included.

In the Tech Test I was pitching better then on 20 using pure analog. My ability to make good inputs wasn't any different, however, where I was locating my pitches was different. Now that I could see how big the PAR area was for a pitch I can adjust to make sure with a good input I can ensure the pitch lands in the general area I wanted.

This was a big deal in terms of off speed pitch location. Sometimes for a curveball the PAR area was bigger than I would've anticipated. I could tell by my pitch location selection in 20 was getting me burned. I wasn't setting the pitch low enough to ensure it stayed out of the zone.

It was a trade off where I buried more that were easily laid off of, but I also was getting good ones that stayed just below the zone like I wanted.

Also, remember that with analog we used to be able to control how we missed by early or late release. That went away at some point.

SDS

Also, remember that with analog we used to be able to control how we missed by early or late release. That went away at some point.

Yes, but that was also kind of gaming the system. I don't think I should be rewarded with consistency when I chose not to make the ideal input i.e. stopping above or below the line to ensure a pitch location.

SDS

Yes, but that was also kind of gaming the system. I don't think I should be rewarded with consistency when I chose not to make the ideal input i.e. stopping above or below the line to ensure a pitch location.

Very good point and I’ll also add to that it makes for a dull game if your opponent is always late on the meter and throws walk after walk after walk. It’s an unfortunate compromise to turn some of those into hangers.